Making It Easier
Ahhh…do you feel the ease in that statement? I realize “easier” is not the message most of us are accustomed to hearing, when it comes to our businesses, but bear with me. Starting and building your business can be easier and more fun than you have been taught or might have imagined.
If you’ve been struggling to start or build your business, it’s possible that you have been reading and listening to experts who make it seem difficult and complicated. Without knowing what step to take next, the whole process can feel overwhelming. Most of the business experts, themselves, share and compare business hardship stories as if that is the only way successful businesses function.
Emphasis on ‘Easier’
Businesses have their trajectories, which are a reflection of the owner/leader’s energy. The focus of this post is on EASE: There are many tips and tools that we can combine to make the process of starting and running a business easier.
If you’ve grown up hearing other ‘grown ups’ talk about business, likely they were talking about how hard it was to find clients, get paid, grow their business. What they affirmed (hardship) was confirmed to them, so in their minds, they were right.
What are you affirming / confirming about your business with your words, thoughts, feelings, and actions?
The energy generated from your words, thoughts, and feelings drive your actions, and the resulting outcome. The one(s) who line up energetically, SEE, FEEL, and KNOW themselves as successful before they take any actions toward their business are more likely to experience successful outcomes.
This is why two people can start the same business in the same city, but one succeeds while the other fails before they even open their doors. What you hold to be true about your business in your words, thoughts, and feelings establishes how you will experience your business.
Before you take another action toward your business, get into alignment with your success:
• SEEING: In your mind’s eye, your imagination, practice seeing yourself successful. Imagine you are in your place of business, or at a networking event meeting new clients. See your schedule filling up with a list of great clients. If this feels awkward, keep doing it until it feels natural.
• FEELING: Notice how you feel when you’re imagining your successful and thriving business. How do you feel when you’re working, when you’re reviewing your financials, when you’re paying bills, dealing with vendors and clients/customers? What do your successful business days feel like, and what do you feel at night as you’re drifting off to sleep?
• KNOWING: As you practice seeing and feeling your success, and the idea of success and the feeling of success will become second-nature to you. This is when you are ready to begin knowing within yourself that even if you don’t know everything about your business…you are capable of learning, growing, and guiding your business. Knowing may initially come to you in flickers and hope-filled thoughts. That’s good! Nurture those until the knowing grows within you.
Pre-Pave Your Success
Abraham-Hicks talks about Segment-Intending as a way of pre-paving future events so they will transpire easily and joyfully. You can also use the basic concept of segment-intending to pre-pave your business success:
• Start by making a list of all the steps you know you’ll need to take with your business
– Setting up your business structure, business location
– Setting up promotional materials: website, business cards, stationery/envelopes, brochures (if any)
– Identifying potential clients and letting them know about your products / services
– Networking to meet potential clients / customers
– Speaking / Writing to increase awareness of your products / services
• SEE, FEEL, and KNOW yourself taking the appropriate action in each list with ease, and with a highly successful result. In our imagination, we can ‘take the journey’ first, energetically. If it feels awkward, we’re not yet in alignment. Keep going until it feels natural, and the positive outcome feels obvious to you. Clarity and confidence will fill your being. This is on-going practice for the successful business owner.
Actions you take after getting into alignment and pre-paving will have a much better outcome and likely to feel easier, than if you are taking the same actions from fearful or frustrated energy. The feeling of the journey has a direct effect on the outcome.
Address Your Fears
When I first started my illustration and design business, I realized that I was literally afraid to ‘sell’ my services. Selling would be important to my business success, so I had to address it if I was going to move forward.
Fortunately, before I started my business, I had (even before knowing about these processes) FELT myself highly successful. I didn’t know HOW, I just felt that I would be and I milked that feeling long before I took action. So, when I realized my fear around selling I immediately sought resources that could help me. A book on marketing one’s services gave me the tools I needed and my confidence began to build. I saw myself successfully identifying possible clients, educating them about my services and how to reach me, and then letting those businesses decide if they would like to hire me. My job was to market / educate. This took the ‘sales’ pressure off, and I felt ready to move forward.
Within a few days, I was making cold-calls to area businesses who might need my services. Of my total list of 50 potential clients, 2 of them called me back to hire me then, and for years afterward. None of that would have happened had I not addressed what I feared, and pre-paved a positive outcome!
Know that you can make starting and growing your business easier using the tools I’ve shared here. You ARE capable of starting, running, and thriving with your business!
For the past decade I have specialized in working with female healing and creative solo- and entrepreneurs in various stages of starting or growing their businesses. If you’ve been struggling to start or build your creative or healing business, it doesn’t have to be that way. You always have the choice, and help is available when you are ready for it.
Image Credit: Barry-Jansson & Associates
with a photo by maridav