defining, higher power, co-creation, connection, trust | AffirmingSpirit — AffirmingSpirit

Defining Your Connection to a Higher Power

by AffirmingSpirit on May 17, 2009

Today, I was thinking about a client of mine. I know she believes in a higher power, but I realized it would be good to know how she *defines* that higher power in her life. That way, I could honor however she *sees* that higher power in our discussions. Does she call it God or Divine Source or All that Is or does she see it in a non-religious/spiritual way preferring the terms the Field or Quantum Matrix?

Then, it hit me: Beyond the words she uses to refer to this higher power, what is her *belief* around that higher power?

Ultimately, how we see our connection to God or Divine Source or the Quantum Matrix is an indicator of how our life experiences will play out.

If we feel we are at the mercy of the higher power in our life, we often feel helpless, fearful, and that we have no control over our daily experiences. We’ll feel that someone else always had full control and we must tolerate whatever comes to pass. Folks who feel this way have thoughts and prayers (affirmations) that resemble begging (please, please, puleeeeeeeeez!!!), tend to be fearful that they won’t be heard (by others and by their higher power), and rarely expect their needs to be met by anyone, let alone their higher power.

However, if we see ourselves as *part* of the higher power, a Divine spark actively co-creating with itself, we feel that nothing is impossible because of that constant Divine presence. We begin to take 100% responsibility for our role in the co-creation of each daily experience. Knowing a spark of the Divine lives within us and goes wherever we go, fills us with a sense of peace, safety, and the freedom to be who we are knowing that our needs will always be met. Those who embrace their responsibility and role in creation, trusting the deep connection to Divine have thoughts and prayers (affirmations) that resemble declarations of intent (I am, I trust, I know…), and are constantly trusting that whatever is happening is for the benefit of all concerned. What others might label a frustration, they recognize as the Divine at work in their life. As they trust, they receive, again and again.

The words you use and the name for this higher power is much less important than the relationship or connection you feel with your higher power.

What is your belief about your higher power? How does that affect the way you experience your life? Is there anything about your beliefs, that would feel better to see differently, that you would now like to shift?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Susan Eller November 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Hello Nancy,

When I was 9 years old I went through a crises of not understanding who or what God was and asked my Mom about it. Unfortunately her answer was not reassuring as she told me she was agnostic and didn’t really believe in God. This was shattering to me because I wanted so much to have an understanding about the eternalness of life, although at the time I did not put it in those terms.

It wasn’t until I was in my twenties as a result of reading many metaphysical books and connecting with my spiritual group that I began to understand and connect with what I call God, the “Infinite Spirit”, the “Divine Presence” and more recently “Source Energy”.

The way I experience God is primarily through the love in my heart. I suppose if I were to define God I would say it is the ultimate creative force for good. The more I connect with this love in my heart, the more I feel connected to God-the Source of all things. For me God is an energy, a loving, creative energy, and I am a part of this energy. This energy flows through me and out from me. It is the Source of my power. When I am connected to this energy all is well. When I disconnect I feel fear and other negative states.

I also believe that I exist on different levels, that I have a Higher Self and what is called the “I Am Presence”. I would say that the “I Am Presence” is Source Energy.

On an intellectual level I am continually learning more and more about this topic from people such as Gregg Braden who speaks about the “Divine Matrix” and that we are in continual dialogue with universal energy- that it is through this dialogue that we co-create our reality.

I also like the Abraham-Hicks explanation of the stream of well-being.

All that satisfies my intellectual understanding, however, as I stated before the most direct way for me to experience God is through the love in my heart. The more I tune into that energy the more expansion I feel as well as the better I feel.

Love and Light,
Susan

AffirmingSpirit November 26, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Susan, thank you for your heart-felt response! ♥ Everyone’s answer is the right one for them~but if they have been feeling incongruent with that answer, as you were as a child, then that is a signal from within to try a different perspective.

I, too, feel that connection in my heart which you write about. As a member of HeartMath’s Global Coherence Initiative (free membership for folks who want to take a conscious role in raising the vibration of the planet), I’ve seen them explain in webcasts that when we feel that deep love in our hearts~like when we are with are pets, our beloveds, or nature~the heart actually goes into a smooth wave that causes all the systems of the body to work together better.

Not only is this heart-connection more healthy for our body, but their research has showed that it also causes others those we are with while having this heart pattern (pets and people) to sync up. That’s what the term ‘heart coherence’ means. So, as the number of people who take personal responsibility to hold themselves in this positive heart-state grows, the entire the global consciousness is positively affected. Amazing research they are doing! If you are not already a member, you might want to check out the program and the free webcasts/information.

Many blessings,
Nancy

Susan Eller November 26, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Hi Nancy,

I am already a member. How wonderful that you are too.

By the way I lived down the street from them when I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains back in the 90′s : )

Warmly,
Susan

AffirmingSpirit November 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Awesome, Susan! I imagine that lots of us are part of this effort, and it makes me *doubly* happy that we are also connecting on Twitter & FB!! :o)

Gaylena, thank you for sharing your wonderful example! As you can see, I wrote this post a while ago. It *popped* out at me the other day and I realized that new people may want to read and consider how they feel. The answer is less important than that it is *clear* and feels *coherent* in your heart-center. I’m so glad you were able to recognize the limiting attitude operating in your life and make a conscious choice!

Many blessings to you both!
Nancy

Gaylena November 27, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Hi Nancy,

This is a great post and one I feel that everyone should address at some point in their lives.

For me I was brought up feeling that anything I wanted in life I would have to ask God for and maybe I would get or maybe not. The reason I wouldn’t get it is because I took on a parent’s beliefs around that, and one that was limiting too.

The reason for this is that one parent felt that whenever they wanted something they never got it. So I in turn picked up on that and thought that it was true and hadn’t I always gotten proof of it being so? That was because I believed it and nothing ever happened to prove me wrong until I changed my beliefs about it.

It was until I read something back in 2007 or 2008 that I come to the conclusion that we are meant to be healthy, happy and rich. After that everything changed in big ways for me and after finding total self-love I found a better connect with God. Because when I learned to love self I was able to love God and see that everything that I saw as “Bad” was in fact “Good”, and that it was for my highest good.

Now nothing is, or feels, impossible and I feel that God, and everything, is on my side, but until I defined that everything was in upset. I feel that we really need to find ourselves and find God or Source or whatever you call it in yourself through that.

Then everything else falls into place.

Thank you Nancy, for this beautiful post, I find it helpful to answer questions that I may have already answered but need to clearly define them.

Blessings,
~Gaylena
.-= Gaylena´s last blog ..Live fully who you are through your spirit =-.

denny hagel
Twitter: kidsbestlife
November 27, 2009 at 6:42 pm

For me, the words “higher power” say it all. I agree that it doesn’t matter what word you choose…Divine, Universe, Source energy…it is truly about knowing in your soul that you are not alone…knowing there is a power greater than yourself that is always working FOR you. Yes, we must do our part, assume our responsibility for our lives…but Oh what an awesome feeling to know that you are a part of such a loving creative force!

Each time I connect with someone new and they touch my heart in a way that is specific to who they are (Nancy, the way your generosity has touched me) I feel the Universe (my word) has sent me another soul to add to my Universal family of love.

Be Blessed,